Thursday, June 26, 2014

Transforming Jed's Shirt (*QSBL)

Jed used to wear this lovely blue shirt. 
 
Today is my son-in-law Jed's birthday.  Happy Birthday! No birthday suit....instead the Quirky Summer Bucket List continues with a shirt. I'd always wanted to transform a man's shirt into a dress for a little girl - his girl of four years old!  This shirt was a beautiful,  subtle blue plaid made up in the most wonderful, quality fabric.  Unfortunately, there was a stain that wouldn't come out and the shirt had to go....right to my project bag! 

This is the pattern I used: Simplicity 1923.

Because the pattern called for a button closure on the front, I could use the shirt front as a shortcut.
When cutting out the shirt, I noticed that the front (right) side of the shirt was more plaid and the inside (back) of the fabric was more stripey. So I used the plaid part for the top of the dress and the stripey part for the bottom skirt and ruffle.


Can you see the difference between top bodice and bottom skirt?

 
The final touch?  Adding a little flower to the top with leftover shirt scraps,
and then putting this four year-old in her Daddy's shirt made just to fit her smaller frame.
"Happy Birthday, Daddy!"

 
(*Quirky Summer Bucket List)

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! We are having a granddaughter in August...time to fire up the sewing machine again!

    ReplyDelete