Wednesday, June 25, 2014

My Quirky Summer Bucket List

Summertime, ah Summertime!
It's my favorite season, but it is too brief for my tastes. With deliberation I try to make the most of the fleeting days and evenings. Each summer has its "must do's" as far as a Bucket List: concerts in the park, ice cream outings, trips to the lake, eating al fresco, neighborhood walks, joining the Summer Reading Club at the library, celebrating five family birthdays, and so on.
 
But, this year I am pumping up the list with quirkiness and a bit of the unusual.
 
Like loading up the car with three adults and three kids and going to IKEA.
That's really on the side of what-are-they-thinking? That means three car seats with an adult in the middle of the back seat on patrol. Me.



Walking to the destination.
 
Getting TO the destination was the fun part.  To my right (in the car) sits the little guy who is obsessed with the word "hat" and likes things placed on his head accordingly.  He also consumed a whole lot of Cheerios.

 
To my left : the Little Miss who didn't want to share her books,
obsessed over crayons, markers and coloring in general.

 
Did you notice neither were smiling?  
 
In back of me, the oldest of the pack.
Chattable should have been her middle name!

 
And finally we were inside.  The beauty of IKEA for Miss E?
She's finally old enough to go to the play area by herself while the rest of us shopped.


 
The kid's play area is a big hit for all three Munchkins.
Then it was time for lunch. Junior John (Kaden) was all about wearing his food on his face and in his hair.


There was a lot of action at our table!  And two pretty terrific Moms who know how to handle it.

 
Our outing only lasted under two hours, but it was well worth all the fun.
As for me, being with the kids and their energy was the best excuse for not ending up with much in my shopping cart. The trip home was much quieter, too.

 
As the summer progresses, I will be sharing some more of my quirky Bucket List adventures.
Like how we put on a variety show at the City Nest that included hula dancing and the room curtain falling down and someone getting bopped in the head by it!  What a wild life I'm leading as a retiree!

1 comment: