Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sugar and Spice



 











Zzzzzzzzz
 
                          Don't you just love a sleeping, peaceful baby? 
One wonders as she sleeps what goes on in her brain.
With no rocky experiences (except for perhaps her birth journey) and her basic needs being met, she has yet to feel the pain of rejection, the sorrow of loss, and the daily disappointments of life.
On the other side, she has yet to experience a rainbow of colors, the sharing of laughter, the unexpected pleasure of a dip in the lake on a hot summer day. As her Grandmother, you know I wish for her life to be filled with sweetness and spice. Balance.
 
 
While she was "percolating" in her mother's warm, cozy womb, I wanted to prepare for her a little warm, cozy haven to wrap herself in as a protective armor.  A quilt.  A pink (sweet) and blue (spice)
quilt.  With blocks that I had found years ago that some other person - perhaps a Grandmother - made in  preparation for her little one coming.  Why the blocks were never joined together and assembled into a quilt will remain a mystery forever, but I set out to change that.
 
 
 
This is one of the 57 blocks I found while out "treasure" hunting.
The blocks I found closely resembles the vintage SHOO FLY pattern.



I got busy with my sewing machine and sewed 56 blocks together - rows of seven across horizontally and rows of eight vertically.  Then a batting and backing were added to turn the top into a quilt. And hand quilting to hold it all together!





When all the blocks are placed together, the pattern becomes quite integrated - you see larger stars and squares in squares. 

Photographed outside; the colors look more faded out.


Once the quilt was done, and there was one quilt square left over, I had to figure out how to use it in the expected book bag/tote for the newly born recipient.

Front of tote with her name.


The block became a hidden pocket inside!




See?  It's making me sleepy already!
On second thought, I think I'll check the world out for a little bit longer...

 
  There's so much out there to discover, Sweet Little One. 
May it bring you much sweetness and just the right touch of spice!

No comments:

Post a Comment