Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Very Hairy Birthday to You!

 











Kari, John, Wes, Anne, Jed

Yes, it's that time of year once again.  The five adults (not me) in our family all celebrate their birthdays within about a three week time span. Our usual routine is to celebrate them all together while on vacation at our cabin in the North Woods of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  I come up with a goofy theme, prepare accordingly and then we have our bash.
 
But this year we had a couple of twists in the celebrating: the births of two more kiddos and the passing of our Patriarch who also liked to celebrate with us.  The time to have the party was uncertain...but certainly our time together would be more "hairy" in the jargon of past years referring to chaotic times.  This got me to thinking of the theme
"It's Getting Hairy Around Here!"
and I was off and running with the use of moustaches to represent the hairy part.
 



Moustaches, headbands, treat bags, stamps, stickers, head coverings..
So I headed out to Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, thrift stores and my own supply cabinet and got busy.  I packed a bag full of these items and waited.  And waited. And waited a bit more until we headed up North with the family as we gathered to have a graveside service for Elder. If the
opportunity came, I was set to do the first EVER combined birthday party as a
Surprise Party!
And for the first time, it would include most of the siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews!
The food would be the dinner planned by Renee - our family "Foodie" who makes everything
soooo good.

With the moustache gift wrap and napkins from my bag, the table décor took on a party feel!.
Two cakes for 23 people seemed about right.  One was for the younger kids "UnBirthday" Party
and the other I brought along with candy and popcorn.
We lucked out with weather that allowed us dining el fresco!

Once the eating was taken care of, it was time for the group to come on over to the
Woodsy Photo Booth.
All those props came out of my pre-packed party bag.  I hung a blue table cloth from a clothesline, pulled up a bench and we were ready to go.  I used my cell phone to take the pictures...it was a snap!


Miss E and Papa
 
MeMo with the Grands
Who is this Moustached Miss? Our youngest party goer, Miss H!
Two birthday celebrants with three googly-eyed girls!
Two more birthday celebrants with a uni-browed baby and a son who's lookin' for gold!
Oldest Sister and F
Younger Brother and family

 Youngest Sister and family


Every party could use a blindfold and challenge, right? Miss M and cousin L made this
"Melody" person for us to "pin" moustaches on her face. (They named her.)
Miss E and Miss M loved this game!


Finished the game with all 23 moustaches in place.  Poor Melody!

 
 
Here's our gang no longer in disguise.  Thanks, one and all, for going along with this party-planner --- I know you were good sports!
 
And, Happy Birthday to EVERYBODY!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment