Friday, July 17, 2015

"Old Girl"


She and I have been together for over fifteen years now. I picked her out the year our daughter was a freshman in college - the first car ever my own! No hand-me-down status.  No minivan.  And, red?
Yes, please! We, like two girlfriends, have been on many adventures together: road trips, windows open and music pumping. Trips to buy groceries and supplies, trips to airports and train stations to reunite with family and friends, trips to get teeth cleaned and back on track with a cure of a park or garden visit.

She, like me, has shown some evidence of aging. Spots and dings, a quirky check engine light warning even when engine is fine. She shimmies when she reduces speed. She, like me, gets check ups and servicing as needed and keeps chugging away. But, there are times I think about getting her replaced. And I recently dabbled with life without "Old Girl."  She got side-swiped on her back bumper while parked in front of our City Nest by someone who kept going past.  Ouch!



Luckily I had rental car insurance on Old Girl for her spa at the auto body place.  And the chance to get modernized with a whole new crash course myself on how keyless ignitions, turn-dial gear shifting
and electronics work on a much newer model: the Chrysler 200.  Make that a black 200 to boot!



With this as a key fob!


Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up with "Young Stud" for close to two weeks.
When the call came that "Old Girl" was ready, I realized I was missing her more than I thought I would.

She was beautifully repaired.  Her check engine light was still aglow.  She still shimmied. But she was my old friend and just like the old broken-in shoes, she seems to fit me just right!


Surely this means I am an Old Girl, too.  

I hereby leave my  
"Young Stud" to someone else...for now anyway. 

Please watch out for my OG - we are a team that I
don't wish to put out to pasture just yet!








No comments:

Post a Comment