Sunday, July 21, 2013

Souvenir

Ah, Summertime!


Time to bask in the sun, take a road trip and experience something new and different.
Time to pull out the wallet and spend a little money on a trinket or two to recall the sweet memories of this slowed-down season.  
Yes, a souvenir is a great way to savor the summer fun long after the flip flops are stowed away.

Even though it is still July, I have something to remind me of the summer of 2013 - a small souvenir  that came to me when I least expected it....

Is it a beautiful, artistic postcard from someplace with mountains, streams and trees? 
No.  We are sticking closer to home this summer after our travels this past spring.
 













Is it turquoise jewelry from Estes Park, Colorado?
No, been there and done that.


Is the souvenir a shell that echoes with the sound of the ocean?
No, certainly not.  We have a nice collection from the kid's searches long ago.
 
Is the souvenir a rock from the shore of our cabin lake? 
No, I left the rock(s) there. Miss E can never get enough of the experience of watching them skip across the surface of the lake and Miss M is using them as teethers.
Now we are getting closer to the special souvenir I collected this summer.
Is it sea glass?
No,   unfortunately not.  No ocean visits this summer.

 It is glass, though.
Fractured glass from a broken thermometer.

I somehow managed to "collect" a rather large piece of a broken thermometer in my hand this summer...my very own  special souvenir.  It's a crazy story that didn't need to happen as a result of my carelessness.  I hope to never repeat the acquisition of a souvenir like this again.
My glass souvenir even had little numbers on it!
However, the downside of collecting this glass souvenir had to come at a price a bit bigger than this dime. I had to have  hand surgery at a hospital to get it out.  Complete with a doctor and several nurses.  A sling. Stitches.
Post surgery with my precious souvenir.
The plan is to make this a one-of-a-kind souvenir.
It may soon be thrown away.
Happily, I am on the mend now with stitches soon to be removed so that I can go out and collect
souvenirs with no ouch factor.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Linnea! You'll have to pace yourself with the souvenirs. Ther will be some great ones!

    ReplyDelete