Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Annual Halloween Bash (and a Reluctant Spider Man)

Imagine my husband's expression when I told him that for Halloween this year he was going to be Spider Man.  He was thinking of the tight leotard and mask; I was not.  Instead, he would wear a "t" shirt with a web on the front and an inflatable spider attached to a baseball hat.  Painless enough, right? 


As for me, Spider Woman, I was inspired by a "find" at a thrift store of a shiny green taffeta never-wear-it-again bridesmaid's dress and a spider hat a fun friend had given me some time ago.
 
 
Now that our costumes were set, we (I - who am I kidding?) could progress with the party planning.
The guest list included our immediate family and Kari's family from out of town, not coming for the party specifically, but for the Northwestern vs. Nebraska Huskers football game.
I worried a bit that they would think I was a crazy Halloween weirdo, but immediately
found out they were on board when they walked in dressed up!
 
Sisters Kass and Glo called themselves "Husker Hicks" and were hilarious!
Their cheeks had tattoos, their hair was fake and their teeth?  Oh, dear.
 
But it was Don who made me laugh until my sides hurt.
Somehow I never visualized him as a sumo wrestler type.
 
Yes, this is the family our cowboy son married into. His lovely wife is the nun.
Now take a look and the rest of our party guests:  Super Preg-o, The King and
Ballerina Girl. 
 
Yes, I know, I know.  You want a close up of the Ballerina Girl?
 
There were appetizers, some storytelling and games, a few silly token prizes, then supper with salad, soup and a dessert that had gummy worms oozing out of whipped cream. And, by the end of the evening Spider Man was embracing his spider mentality quite nicely!

2 comments:

  1. This was a delightful break from 4.5 hours of deep knee bends pulling ballots for early voting! Exhausting for old knees! Loved super Prego, ballerina, and huskers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun party! Thanks for hosting us! :)

    ReplyDelete