Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cloudy with a Chance of Inspiration

My wonderful friend Carol is temporarily living in Lake Geneva with her husband Mark.  There was a pocket of time to go visit her before the leaves were completely off the trees.  Unfortunately the day was not a sunny, cloudless, clear day; but time off is time off, so I headed north. 
We went out for a lakeside walk in spite of the threat of rain and gray skies.  (For those of who don't know, Lake Geneva is a medium-sized lake in Wisconsin with a resort feel; it is required that an accessible path lakeside be provided for all passers-by homeowners from "regular" houses to mansions - and there are mansions.) Come along now for a little stroll with us.



 
 
 
Then we came to this standout and were truly inspired by the quotes and paintings on the railings on both sides of the path.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Carol and I took our time to read many of the quotes.
There are quotes from famous people, movies, songs and the Bible.
It is very peaceful here by the lake...what was the motivation behind this "gift" to
path walkers?  I had to do some online research and this is what I found,
as  written by the homeowner, Carolyn Gable.
 


Year after year I would walk the lake path and always said a silent prayer to God how someday I wanted to own a home on the lake. I would travel on the path looking at the homes and wondered what these people did to enjoy such a wonderful life. Was it a family fortune or just plain hard work that created these gorgeous estates? Many times I would try to chat with the owners of these homes, yet I always felt like I was intruding. It probably was my own insecurities at the time. However, it made such an indelible mark on my soul that I would add to my prayer “And if you ever do bless me with a home on the lake I will make it so inviting for all!”

Well, some 20 years later and the recipient of more miracles than I could ever count, I was blessed by God’s Grace and was able to purchase my home - right on the lake! I held true to my promise and immediately put ‘Expect a Miracle’ on the front gate. Almost immediately, I began to receive cards and letters from people telling me how those words changed their life - it was the inspiration and hope they needed to persevere.

I was so inspired by these letters that I hired a wonderful muralist to paint inspirational quotes on what was a blank white fence along the lakeside path. As he worked during the summer of 2008, people began to gather on the “Miracle Path.” I would, and still do, wake up on a weekend morning to flocks of people coming to feel the love and inspiration from the path.

A year later I added a podium, a large bell that reads “Ring the bell and Expect Miracles,” and a wooden box to hold a spiral notebook so people could share what was in their heart. From that June day in 2008 we have over 12,000 people (14 huge notebooks!) who have stopped by to write in the book or ring the bell and expect a miracle!

This path has truly taken on a life of its own. When I hired a man to paint words on a fence to fulfill a God given promise, I had no idea it would hold such power. I invite you to read these incredibly heartfelt words from many of people from all over the world who have graced the path.

If you ever are in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin I invite you to come and visit the miracle path, ring the bell and expect a miracle to happen.
 
Very interesting.  Miracles? That is hard to judge. Inspiration? Certainly...even on a cloudy day!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment