Friday, April 5, 2013

The Birthday Theme Reveal


 
 
Please don't take this the wrong way...I don't mean to be mean to reveal my sister's age! If you know her, you would never even guess that she has reached this milestone.  If you know us, we celebrate our birthdays in a big way with themes and gifts and an outing that is always fun, fun, fun.
 So, this year, this song was the basis of her theme:



WHEN I’M SIXTY-FOUR
When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too,
And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy mending a fuse
When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line,
Stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away.

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?
A clock, a bottle of wine, a coin purse, a cottage, valentines, garden gloves, food gift card..all related to the song!

One of my personal favorite "finds" was the fake blonde hair bow for the song phrase of
 "When I get older losing my HAIR."


Once the theme had been figured out, it was time to do a little research on where to go for lunch. Perhaps a restaurant on the 64th floor? No, it should have a Beatles-related theme. Okay, think now...nope I can't think of a place (though Diann later mentioned Hard Rock Cafe). Google to the rescue! I typed in "Beatles memorabilia restaurants Chicago" and got one entry: Margie's Candies on Western Avenue. The Beatles went here after a performance for ice cream sundaes.
 
SCORE!
Margie's Candies is located in the Bucktown neighborhood on Western Avenue.and has been there since 1921.




Walking in the door is certainly a blast from the past. I suspect little has been changed since the Fab Four walked through the door in 1965 after a concert tour performance (with 5 lucky girls) and ordered the Atomic Sundae.
In a non-descript cabinet, we found these vintage Beatles photos...I think they should be more prominent in the restaurant!


Now let's get down to the business of eating in this retro place!
Our mom made tuna melt sandwiches just like these!

Check out the ice cream served in a scalloped shell bowl...could this be the same bowl the Beatles used in 1965?


Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to you, Sis!
You look mah-velous at any age!

No comments:

Post a Comment