Friday, April 12, 2013

Dress-alike Sisters

Given all the hoopla going on (Facebook) about it being Siblings Day, it got me to thinking about a sore subject from my past:
I wanted matching outfits for me and my sister.
And it never - to my recollection - happened.
Our Mom sewed most of our clothes, so she had the skills.  Was it that the fabric lengths she had were too limited and one outfit was all she could squeeze out of it?
Was she ahead of her time with recognizing the need for individuality?
Was she just too tuckered out with four kids to raise that the idea never came to her?
 
I guess I'll never know and need to get over it, right?


As a baby, it would hardly have been possible to dress alike.

Here we are in Mesa Verde with Dad in the late 50's.  Once again, we are not attired matchy-matchy.

Here we are on Easter Sunday in Arvada, Colorado in the 60s. Mom made my dress.  Diann "made" my hairdo!
But, alas, once again we are not dressed alike.

Now with two Grand-daughters, I can finally have a chance to
 sew two matching sister dresses for Easter!
I realize this is just a tiny window when they are willing to be "twins" and I'm going for it!
(My one time sewing matching dresses for my daughter and me was rather a bust over 25 years ago...sorry, Anne for putting you through that.)
 


Here's a bit of a closer look at the dresses.
Round and round and round she goes; when she she stops  nobody knows!

Knowing her Mom loved swirling, twirling skirts on dresses I had to make sure the dress had spinning-in-circles appeal for Miss E... Miss M can't take advantage of that factor just yet.
I also made matching-to-the-dress hair accessories for the girls.

Too bad these dresses can't be worn without sweaters, leggings/tights!
It's still too cold in the chilly Midwest.
Here are my two little Sweeties in their matching dresses.

Thanks for letting me work it out one generation later.

No comments:

Post a Comment