Monday, December 3, 2012

One Tomte. One Elf.


'Tis the season for wee little impish ones to be making their way into house and home!  In Sweden they are known as tomte (tomten) and they act as protectors of the farm, animals and children.  Better give them porridge WITH BUTTER on Christmas night, or you'll be sorry --- the cow's tails will be tied together or objects could be turned topsy turvy and generally you should expect mischief.
 Here at home, there may be an Elf placed on a Shelf (some love 'em and others don't) to encourage/threaten good behavior as the days count down to Christmas.
 
As for me, I just love both!  In the past I have sewn little elf ornaments for the tree and made an
elf doll out of fun fabrics.  This year was the year to make tomten.  Because this was the year we went to Sweden and visited a very special little shop called Tomte Verkstan.
In this shop, one could buy ready-made tomten.  But I opted to buy little tomte kits and make them myself back home.  And it has been so much fun!
 

 
Seriously, does this place look like fun or what???
Once back home, though, it was a bit of a challenge to craft the little red-hat wonders as there was no English in the instructions and quite a few little pieces to figure out:
 
 
 
Finished.
 
Which brings me to the next Swedish tradition: the Lucia Pageant.
And Miss E being a little participant in the pageant as a tiny
tomte handing out candycanes, decked out in red from top to toe.
 
 
 
 
Now it seems apparent to me that we have a tomte in the family....but what about her
sister, Miss M?  Today I confirmed she is an elf while watching her at her 1 month check up.
 
 
See what I mean?
We're in for some holiday merriment with these two little ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment