Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The 2017 word of the year.

There have been crickets chirping on this blog of  late.  Life has been happening, to be sure, but not on this little web glimpse into it.  2016 is now one for the books and in many ways, it was a very good year. In other ways, it was challenging.  A minor surgery on my eye lens, a major health crisis for one of my grandchildren, an election that brought out the ugly in our country.  A Cubs win, times spent with loved ones near and far, the ability to travel to locations I could only dream about experiencing...and aging happened, too.


The girl of long ago is still that girl inside in many ways, but her shell has become one with wrinkles and creaks, and fortunately, laugh lines as well.  Lately, I have been looking back at my life journey and have enjoyed remembering what steps have been taken along the way, especially considering political candidates in this crazy past year. I was unable to vote for the president in 1972 (due to underage), but I voted in 1976 for the first time for Jimmy Carter.  I proudly have voted for candidates no matter what political party they have been "attached" to based upon my gut feelings.

And then there's this year.  What a lot to take in, especially in social media.  I cringe at what's posted out there.  With this is mind, I decided to go for peace of mind - literally - with my choice for the word of inspiration this year.  It's a word to reflect upon for the next 355 days or so:



Peace to come to the world.  Peace to come to our country.  Peace to come to our city.
Peace to come to our souls.  Peace to come to you. Peace to come to me.  Peace. Life is temporary, but better lived with peace instead of fear, pain, anger and hostility. Peace.


But wait!  There's more!  on a different note, I also like the homonym for peace which is piece. I have been working on a quilt with a lot of pieces, and I hope to get it all put together this year.It's a quilt inspired by one of my favorite books THE HUNDRED DRESSES by Eleanor Estes.  Written in 1944, its plot is about a poor and friendless immigrant girl, Wanda Petronski.  Every day she shows up to her classroom wearing the same faded blue dress while claiming to have one hundred dresses, all lined up in her closet at home. She is taunted and mocked and the story breaks my heart.  Yet, there is an artistic twist to the story which delights me to no end...no spoiler alert here, but it's good.
Even though this book is quite old, the story line is one we can and should relate to in 2017.


I am making 100 little pieced dresses from my stash and putting them into a quilt.  For example, this little red dress with white collar and cuffs represents Ellie in her first dance recital featuring the music from the musical Annie.
  I have made dresses from my mother's clothes, my mother-in-law's clothes, my own Annie's clothes, projects made for my Grands, and even my own clothes as I learned how to sew long ago. (Again, this is a trip down Memory Lane, just as remembering who I voted for in past elections.)


Each dress has 27 pieces in it.  Multiply that by 100 and that's a whole lot of pieces.  I'm hoping for peace while I piece.  And wishing for peace for you, too.



























No comments:

Post a Comment