Thursday, October 20, 2016

Seeing Stu Again (of interest to North Parkers)

Back in the early 1970s, I was a student at North Park College. (It's now North Park University.)
Arriving as a freshman, I thought I'd consider nursing as my major, but it rapidly became apparent that this was not a good option for me as dissection of little creatures turned my stomach!  Four weeks later, I realized that my first choice of teaching was the right choice after all. However, during my sophomore year - and taking my first art classes - I decided to add Art as a second major.
Two special friends were also art students, and here we are downtown on one of our museum class trips- to the left, Dave "Les" Carlson and on my right, Don "TB" Johnson. Our painting and print-making teacher was Stu Carlson.

Stu Carlson:
Sadly, Stu died in 1980 at the age of 42.
But right now, in the Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago, Stu lives on.  Twenty five of his paintings and art renderings are on exhibit at the Swedish American Museum now through November 27.

It was a very powerful, moving experience to see my professor/friend again in this way.  Peace to his memory.








Your instruction and inspiration made a difference in my own life path.













No comments:

Post a Comment