Sunday, May 10, 2015

Learning from Vera (My Mom)



This Mother's Day I cannot help but remember life lessons taught by my unsuspecting teacher - my Mom, Vera.  She wasn't especially sentimental or deliberate in the teaching of these lessons.  She was a small-town girl from Kansas, taking secretarial courses after high school graduation, writing to the handsome Elom as he was stationed overseas.  His proposal came in a letter and they were quickly married when he came stateside on furlough.  Four children later, she did the best she could keeping us clothed and fed with creative "budgeting" on a shoestring budget.  She sewed, she gardened and made it all work!  Now that I am older, I realize that I am more like her than I ever thought I would be!

In her honor, I would like to share some of these lessons. Here goes.
 
 #1: Using up



Yes, that's me, too!  I seem to save things that others would get rid of: like wool sweaters. Now I 
deliberately shrink them to stitch into flowers, hats, mittens and other woolly, functional items.

#2: Errand running



Mom would NEVER go out to run ONE errand like going to the grocery store.  She'd go to the post office, the grocery store, the repair shop, the nursing home to see a senior, etc.  It drove me crazy as a teenager!  She'd return home hours later so if  I wanted something I'd have to put up with being dropped off and picked up when she was finished.  Now I realize she was ahead of her time in saving fossil fuels and now I can't manage to leave the house with only one errand in mind - I'll wait until two or three things relate in proximity for an errand to get done.

#3: Satisfying scratching



She knew the value of a back scratcher!  I inherited hers after her passing and it is one of the best
accessories I possess.  Perfect relief.

#4: Stocking up




She kept a stocked refrigerator.  And freezer. And cupboards.  She could make meals with anything available and would entertain company at the drop off a hat.  (Though there was never any liquor in cupboards or chilling in icebox.) 

#5:  Maintaining a junk drawer



She was a fan of the junk drawer.  As am I. 

#6: Collecting



Mom had interesting collections such as these glass fruits. She also had a thing for collecting twist ties and rubber bands, but that's another story.  I leaned from her that collecting things is fun and my vintage hat collection and fabric collection reflects this love.

#7:  Sewing



Mom didn't really teach me to sew, but modeled how yardage could turn into useful wearables and  
household goods.

#8:  Laughing



One of the best lessons my Mom taught me, though, was that laughter was/is important.  She could laugh so hard - and many times at her own self - that we often joined her with tears coming from our eyes!  Laughter is often better than medicine and shared laughter acts as a balm for the soul.




Today, may all of you have happy memories of some of  your Mom's  life lessons.  Some memories may be on the quirky side; that's AOK. Thank her if you can for such memories and have a good  laugh.  Just for Vera's sake.









No comments:

Post a Comment